Are you dedicated to the Tibetan freedom movement? Are you a student or do you know a student looking for a summer job? SFT Canada is hiring one student intern for a 10-week summer internship at SFT Canada’s headquarters in Toronto!
As an intern, you will gain a thorough understanding of the Tibetan Freedom movement, work on SFT Canada’s campaigns, and get hands on grassroots organizing experience. You will work with the National Director on office operations as well as on grassroots coordination; corresponding with supporters and chapters across Canada; creating and maintaining databases; participating in SFT-organized activities; and helping maintain the SFT website amongst other responsibilities.
This is a paid position for 30 hours per week beginning June 20, 2011
Interested candidates, please send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 11, 2011.
As this position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program, the intern must be someone who:
- was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
- is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive at the start of employment;
- is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
- Commitment to the Tibetan Freedom Movement. Experience volunteering with SFT is an asset.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience working with young people and people from diverse cultures.
- Good computer skills, including knowledge of databases, spreadsheets, email, word processing. Graphic design and web design skills are a plus.
- Fluency in spoken and written in English. Tibetan and/or French language skills a plus.
- A desire and enthusiasm to work for Tibetan independence.
- The ability to work independently.
- Creativity, integrity and flexibility.
Students for a Free Tibet Canada (SFT Canada) is a youth-led national organization with a grassroots membership base, including chapters at universities and high-schools across the country. Using education, grassroots organizing, nonviolent direct action, and innovative web and communications technologies, SFT Canada engages in strategic campaigns to promote human rights and freedom in Tibet. SFT empowers and trains young Tibetans and Tibet supporters to be effective activists and leaders in movements for social justice.
SFT Canada is a national branch of Students for a Free Tibet International. SFT’s global network is led and coordinated by SFT Headquarters (SFT HQ) located in New York City. The SFT Canada National Director works closely with the SFT HQ staff.
For further information, please contact: email@example.com.